Pregnancy is the most critical stage in a woman’s life and during this time is it essential for her to remain healthy and strong, not only for her well being but also for the healthy growth of her fetus. There are two most important things a pregnant woman should follow to remain healthy.
During this time, the body requires an increased amount of essential nutrients. Therefore, she should eat a well balanced diet from diverse food groups, such as, milk and dairy products, cereals and pulses, fruits and vegetables and plant/animal proteins as well as plenty of fluids.
- There are a number of special diet initiatives a woman should take during her pregnancy to remain healthy. Even if she takes a well-balanced diet, she should add extra calcium, vitamins, folic acid and iron to her diet as these are required during pregnancy.
- She should also eat as many times she wishes to and eat whatever she feels like just that the food has to be healthy. It is in fact recommended that the person should eat small portion of meal several times a day. However, junk food and aerated drinks should be avoided during this time. Similarly processed food and ‘ready-to-eat’ food should not be taken at any time.
- You can eat out occasionally and go by your preferences, but you just need to be careful about unhealthy food that is spicy and oily.
- You can always take vitamin and mineral supplements with advice from your gynecologist. You should not take capsules and medicines for weight loss.
Check this: Start Losing Weight For Your Wedding Day
Although heavy exercises are not allowed during pregnancy, it is always important to follow some workout program during this period of time to remain healthy and strong. Studies have revealed that those women who are active during their pregnancy have a much smoother delivery than those who lead a passive lifestyle.
There are certain exercises that are specifically designed for this group. However, there are certain things you need to keep in mind before starting to exercise when pregnant.
- Some of the breathing and cardio exercises are extremely useful during pregnancy. Many women are advised to do kegal exercise for strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor. But you should make it a point not to force yourself and take adequate rest while working out. Doing your physical activities in moderation will keep you healthy.
- It is important for pregnant women to do some warm up such stretching and light cardio. Meditation during pregnancy is particularly helpful for the overall physical and mental wellbeing.
- Pregnant women should also drink a lot of water before and after exercising. This will keep them hydrated throughout and cramps and pains can be avoided. Water also regulates the blood pressure and heartbeat and keeps her cool.
- No stressful exercises should be undertaken during this time, such as weight lifting or lying flat on your stomach. This can exert a lot of pressure on your uterus and affect your delivery.
Certain exercises along with a healthy diet and meditation can keep a woman healthy throughout pregnancy and prevents her from the various pregnancy-related complications.